Re: create or replace language

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create or replace language
Date: 2008-05-10 07:36:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sat, 3 May 2008 21:12:51 +0200 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Sat, 03 May 2008 13:34:05 -0400 Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > So maybe the right thing is that CREATE OR REPLACE LANGUAGE can change
> > "inessential" properties of an existing language, but not the core
> > properties --- which might only be the handler function, though you
> > could make a case for the validator and the trusted flag as well.
>
> Already thought about that: exchanging the handler function or the
> libbrary might only be useful in a developing environment, i don't see
> other use cases here. The same is true for the validator (but a missing
> validator could be added afterwards) and in my opinion i would prefer
> not to change the trust flag - some functions may depend on this.
>
> The name cannot be changed at all so only the owner and maybe the
> validator is left ...

Even the owner does not make sense, because it seems it is not possible
that the owner will changed through the SQL interface. ALTER LANGUAGE
already exists for this purpose and CREATE LANGUAGE has no option for
the language owner.

So do we want to replace any data (in my opinion only the validator is
left) at all or just skip any error message?

Kind regards

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group