Re: WIP: psql default banner patch v4

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: psql default banner patch v4
Date: 2008-04-23 21:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:44:43 -0400
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> Ahh o.k. Now I have a complaint. :) I happily removed the whitespace
> where I saw this, "%s \n" (for example) but the whitespace above is for
> readability. Consider:
>
> To quit psql type \q.
>
> I am trying to avoid the silly newbie saying, "I typed \q. and it did
> nothing".

I know, which is why I suggested rewording the messages so that the
command is somewhere other than the end of the sentence. (This was
about 4 messages back in the thread).

> Maybe I am being overly cautious?

No, I think it's a reasonable thing to consider.

> > > --- 158,164 ----
> > > /* DB server user name */
> > > case 'n':
> > > if (pset.db)
> > > ! strlcpy(buf,
> > > session_username(), sizeof(buf)); break;
> > >
> > > case '0':
> >
> > Please remove this hunk. (In general make sure there are no useless
> > hunks in the diff.)
>
> Well to be honest, I wouldn't have known it was useless as I didn't
> write or purposely modify that part of the code.

Right. I suggest you open the file in "meld" which allows you to easily
remove the offending extraneous difference. Of course, you can do it in
Vim or Emacs directly, but I don't think Joe can do anything of the sort
... but we're not about to enter another editor flamewar, now, are we?