Re: get rid of psql welcome message

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date: 2008-04-19 18:15:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Actually in thinking about this more... I almost thing the default
> prompt should be:
>
> -
> psql version 8.2.7, server version 8.3.1 (some features may not work)
> SSL: On {cert info}
> Type help to get help (tab complete enabled)
> -
>
> So on the prompt they can do:
>
> help <Tab> <tab> and it would give back:
>
> help [sql | psql] (or something like that)
>
> Then if they type:
>
> help psql, they get back the current \?
>
> If they type help sql they get back the current \h
>
> If they don't know what they need, help is the shortest path to find
> out. If they do know what they need, then we don't need everything else.

Does Win32 have tab completion? I am wondering if we should lose the
tab and just print:

help [sql | psql]

in the header, again assuming we want to actually have 'help' so
something. I am afraid the phrase "tab completion" is too complex for
the type of people who need help. :-)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com