Re: Patch queue -> wiki

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch queue -> wiki
Date: 2008-04-05 02:36:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> >> Basically a Wiki takes 10x more time for me to modify something, so
> >> unless I get another 9 people to do the same amount of work I do on
> >> tracking, we are going to fall behind. I am not willing to increase the
> >> amount of time I already spend doing this. Perhaps distributed over the
> >> community there will be 9x more time spent on tracking, but I doubt it.
>
> > On a busy day we might get 5 patches submitted or updated. That's five lines
> > of text to add or edit.
>
> I think what Bruce is really complaining about here is that he's got
> years worth of development in his current infrastructure, and so it only
> costs him a few seconds and keystrokes to push stuff into his existing
> patch queue; while there's no such shortcuts for the wiki. Which is a
> fair complaint, but it's hardly insoluble.

My infrastructure really took no time to construct because it is just
pushing email around. I don't care if I have to scrap it.

Basically it is an outgrowth of something I already do, and that is read
the email stream. My guess is that no matter what we set up I am going
to want to track things others don't want to see so I am still going to
have my private list of emails I want to address.

That private email list has grown into something official because I am
more thorough about it than most. If the community wants a more
collaborative tool, they can create one or ask for additions to my web
pages. If I need to take my pages offline to help, fine.

If the new system is 10x harder than I what I do now, I will probably
just keep doing what I am doing and just not make it visible. I can put
some work into using the collaborative tool, but as I said before, we
are going to need another 9x of effort.

Personally I don't think either the March or May wiki pages are accurate
enough, so that isn't a good sign.

FYI, others can add to the patch queue now; the email address is at the
top of each page.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com