Re: Implemented current_query

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tomas Doran <bobtfish(at)bobtfish(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implemented current_query
Date: 2008-04-04 17:00:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I have applied a modified version of this patch, attached. I made a few
changes:

o You had current_query() returning 'void' so it didn't work
o I removed the dblink regression tests for current_query() as
it is now a backend function
o Update documentation to mention the possibility of multiple
statements
o Used the new cstring_to_text() usage that Tom had updated in
CVS for this function
o The pg_proc.h oids and number of columns didn't match CVS

Thanks for the patch.

Tomas Doran wrote:

> On 10 May 2007, at 03:09, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > FWIW I think you should still provide dblink_current_query, even if
> > it's
> > only a wrapper over current_query(), for backwards compatibility.
>
> Good point. Done as suggested (I think, or did you mean also the
> change of instances to use current_query()?). Replaced
> dblink_current_query with an SQL procedure wrapper, I assume that's
> the most efficient way of doing it?
>
> > Also, typically we don't remove items from the TODO list. We mark
> > them
> > as "done" prepending them with a dash. Patch authors are not expected
> > to do it either (though I don't see it be a problem if they did).
>
> Not quite sure what you're suggesting (which way round), so I just
> didn't do it (as you said I'm not expected to).
>
> > Doesn't matter ... just make sure duplicate_oids doesn't report a
> > problem. unused_oids is useful to find, err, unused OIDs.
>
> Ahh, hadn't found those, thanks. They're in the dev FAQ too, *blush*.
> I need this for something I'm doing at $ork, and thought I'd
> implement it in the backend, as well as a .so, it's been a learning
> experience :)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 9.4 KB