Re: Permanent settings

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Permanent settings
Date: 2008-02-20 14:00:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le mercredi 20 février 2008, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> > What about having a postgresql.conf.d directory containing a file per
> > setting, maybe with a subdir per section. If I take Josh Berkus example,
> > we'd have
>
> <snip>
> IMHO, if we do that it really sucks for those who use manual configuration
> files, to the point of being completely unusable. It could be valid if we
> want to support config only through the API, but that's not what people are
> asking for.
>
> We need something that's low-impact for existing users, and this certainly
> isn't.

What about having PG still able to load postgresql.conf or the tree of config
files, automatically, erroring when both mechanisms are in use at the same
time. This would allow for manual config editing installations and SQL
embedded configuration setting, just not in the same cluster at the same
time.

I see how the proposal fails to answer to people wanting to edit the same
configuration both with a file editor and SQL commands, but maybe having
either postgresql.conf or SQL interface for configuration could be a first
step?

--
dim