Re: Permanent settings

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Permanent settings
Date: 2008-02-19 19:16:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 02:19:16PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
>
> > The alternative is to have two files and read them both. Then if you change a
> > variable which is overridden by the other source you can warn that the change
> > is ineffective.
> >
> > I think on balance the include file method is so much simpler that I prefer it.
>
> I think this is a good idea. I would suggest being able to query
> exactly which config file a setting came from -- so you can see whether
> it's the stock postgresql.conf, or the locally-modified
> postgresql.local.conf.

Yeah, that's something I've been thinking about quite apart from this one.
If you have a bunch of include files, it can be interesting to know exactly
where the current setting was picked up. It's not like you can't find it
elsewhere, but it's quicker if we could add that to pg_settings. I'll add
that to my TODO list for things to look at when I work on this.

//Magnus