Re: Patch review

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch review
Date: 2008-02-12 23:45:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Agreed, and it doesn't allow people to delete items either. Hold, I
> > > think I can add annotations if that's what people want; you can see an
> > > example in my blog:
> > >
> > > http://momjian.us/main/blogs/blog.html
> >
> > OK, comments added, and they are based on message-id, so they will not
> > change over time.
> >
> > I am using JS-Kit, http://js-kit.com/comments/, article
> > http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2006/11/jskit_add_comme.html.
>
> Seems the comments slowed down the page load so I now have the thread
> broken down into 50 emails per page.

I got a message from someone saying I was trying too hard to avoid using
a tracker.

I think I was clear what functionality I needed and no one had any
ready-made solutions. Let me give a practical example of what I need.

Suppose we were using a web-based discussion forum, rather than email.
Assume it is something like Slashdot, where you have article titles and
comments.

For the patches lists I need to take sometimes entire threads, sometimes
groups of comments, and store them in a format so people can review them
as a digest. And I want to allow comments on these items, and ideally
allow multiple people to delete them.

If I link to a comment URL, how do people know if they should look at
that comment or all comments below it?

If I had omment URLs, how would I present those in a threaded way? A
flat list of URL would be too crude and lack titles. So, ultimately I
would need a threaded way to present the URLs, which is pretty much what
mhonarc does now. Comments would certainly be easier because you could
just add comments to the discussion threads. Deleting URLs would be the
same as mhonarc, except the URLs would be static.

So, if we did have a tracker, how would it be different? Comments would
be more integrated but I am unclear how the patches_hold queue would be
different.

Basically what I do now is to take the email stream and chop pieces out
of it for later review. I see a tracker making some of that process
easier and more distributed/shared, but some of it harder and more
complex.