Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-07 17:00:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake escribió:

> I am not arguing any particular solution but home brewing a solution so
> people can stay on what is definitely a dying SCM is dumb. There are
> so many tools available to us that we *don't* have to modify, bend,
> break or if you like, improve that any argument outside of, "We are
> used to CVS" is just hand waving and that argument is sad.

Actually, in using Subversion I've found it broken enough that a
migration to it does not offer that much of an advantage over staying
with CVS. It would certainly offer us some advantages, but our usage of
CVS has proven successful. Moreover, several developers have started
using the DSCM of their choice on top of our CVS repo, which gives a lot
of the benefits without the hassle of forcing everyone else to convert.

I say we should try Review Board with CVS. If it doesn't work, make
sure it gets fixed.