Re: 8.3 / 8.2.6 restore comparison

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3 / 8.2.6 restore comparison
Date: 2008-02-07 16:35:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 11:20:49 -0500
Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> I just tested a ~110GB load. On our modest backup server, 8.2
> >> yesterday did the data load (i.e. the COPY steps) in 1h57m. Today,
> >> 8.3 on identical data and settings took 1h42m. Relation size is
> >> down by about 10% too, which is very nice, and probably accounts
> >> for the load time improvement.
> >>

> > Ergghh o.k. I am definitely missing something in the environment. By
> > your numbers I should be well over 100GB restored at 2.5 hours. I am
> > not. I am only 38GB in.
> >
> > What type of IO do you have on that machine? What type of CPU and
> > RAM?
>
> 2Ghz Xeon dual core
> 16 Gb RAM
> HW RAID0 data store - not sure how many spindles
>
> I didn't touch any of the 8.3-only config stuff. I have work_mem set
> a lot higher than you do, though - not sure if that makes any
> difference to a bulk load.
>
> This is not a very heavy duty box.

Depends on how you look at it. Restores are traditionally CPU bound if
you have any kind of IO. If you have RAID 0 you have some IO available
to you. It bothers me that the environment I am testing which has 16
spindles (8 per volume) is garnering such miserable performance in
comparison.

In my environment we aren't able to push the I/O at all (wait times <
3%) and yet these are Opterons that we have which have great memory
bandwidth. 8.2 did use more I/O than 8.3 but I think that is just
architectural with the change to 8.3 in general.

Joshua D. Drake
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director | PostgreSQL political pundit