implicit vs. explicit RETURN when OUT is used

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: implicit vs. explicit RETURN when OUT is used
Date: 2008-01-04 08:38:35
Lists: pgsql-general

I've read this

CREATE FUNCTION sum_n_product(x int, y int, OUT sum int, OUT prod
int)
AS $$
BEGIN
sum := x + y;
prod := x * y;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

at

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/plpgsql-declarations.html#PLPGSQL-DECLARATION-ALIASES

what if I need explicit RETURN to get out of the function if I don't
want to create a type and still have control of the types of the
returned values (that means avoiding any*)?

eg.

if(found) then
RETURN Afunction();
else
RETURN Bfunction();
end if;

currently I solved the issue this way:

create or replace function testA(out _BasketID1 int, out _BasketID2
int) as $$
begin
_BasketID1:=1;
_BasketID2:=2;
return;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

create or replace function testB(out _BasketID1 int, out _BasketID2
int) as
$$
begin
select into _BasketID1,_BasketID2 * from testA();
return;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

But when I switch to

select into _BasketID1,_BasketID2 _BasketID1,_BasketID2 from testA();

nothing get back from testB().

That obliges me to match returning parameters, that may not always be
the case.

Any other way to return *controlled* composite types without
declaring a composite type explicitly?

thx

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo