Re: type money causes unrestorable dump

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: type money causes unrestorable dump
Date: 2007-11-03 21:37:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Doing it would be a problem
> when transporting dump files across platforms: what if the
> appropriate locale name is spelled differently on the new machine?

The question is which is more likely?

Using a dump on a similar platform with different locale settings is
fairly common, especially by accident. (And this is a problem that is
easily masked if you don't run the restore with on-error-stop.)

Using a dump on a platform with different locale spellings is, in my
mind, rarer. And even then, if you have different locale spellings,
chances are, you have semantically different locales configured.

What could help is if we could invoke this only if the money type is
actually used.

--
Peter Eisentraut