Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: "Chris Mair" <chris(at)1006(dot)org>
To: <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-09-03 14:00:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>Ciao Andy,
>
>Non-English Groups
>> ------------------
>> I've carefully read all the objections, including those of the
>non-English
>> PG organizations. But I don't believe anyone against this
>proposal
>> mentioned
>> that Alvaro strongly supported the name change from his
>(Spanish)
>> perspective.
>>

>If you carefully read my post, I was not objecting the change of
>the name
>itself, for which I leave myself to a democratic decision (I even
>suggested
>the core team to take this decision).
>
>I personally agree that "Postgres" sounds heaps better than
>"PostgreSQL" in
>Italian - we discussed this during PGDay too. And that's the name
>that
>people normally use to refer to it in Italy. I am sure that's the
>same issue
>for the latin speaking countries (including Spanish, French and
>Portuguese),
>but that does not mean that a name change is required.
>
>As you can see, from a purely language based point of view, you
>get no
>objections from me: "Postgres" is better than "PostgreSQL". But
>you can't
>ignore the communities problems that - at least in the short term -
> we will
>face. I believe that's a bit disrispectful and it cannot be left
>to the
>case.
>
>Also, I am not aware of any Spanish community at the moment -
>actually
>nobody from Spain ever took part to the organisation of PGDay and
>the
>European Group or even marginally got involved.
>
>I am objecting the way this change will eventually occur. It must
>be planned
>and it must be promoted, because it takes time to re-organise
>everything,
>and I believe:
>
>1) this is morally *due* to the national communities (yes, I think
>it is the
>least that can be done)
>2) this looks way more *professional* at the eyes of the companies
>
>Thank you.
>
>Ciao,
>Gabriele

I agree with you. But I still think we could change the name with
minor impact...

soon: make postgres an "officially" blessed alternative
name

some point in the future (with proper notice to the community):
declared postgres to be the preferred name

> P.S.: Chris, do you really want to buy 10 shirts? :)

If they name changes and you still have t-shirts left, yes, I'll buy
10 :)

Bye,
Chris.