Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?
Date: 2007-08-14 19:15:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> A lot of work has been done to try to get /contrib/tsearch2 into the
> core backend for 8.3, but we have hit a roadblock in how to handle
> multiple text search configurations. (FYI, the documentation is at
> http://momjian.us/expire/textsearch/HTML/textsearch.html.)
>
> There are three options for controlling text search configurations:
>
> 1) have a GUC variable which specifies the default configuration
> 2) require the configuration to be always specified
> 3) use the type system to automatically use the right configuration
>
> The problem with #1 is that is it error-prone (easy to mismatch
> configurations). One idea was to have the GUC be super-user-only but
> then restoring a dump as non-super-user is a problem.

What is the worst consequence of mismatching configuration? Does it
cause a system crash? A backend hang? A corrupted index? Lost data?
Or does it, as I assume, just fail to return the exact result set that
would be returned if the correct configuration was supplied?

If the answer is the latter, I think this is not so huge a problem that
FULL TEXT should be rejected for 8.3 on these grounds. We just tell
people to use the correct query and be done with it.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"La vida es para el que se aventura"