Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki
Date: 2007-08-04 18:50:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

All,

In the interests of "solving the real problem" let me explain why the current
wiki permissions aren't working for *some* Advocacy stuff.

For both OSCON and LWE we did this:

1) Put up a wiki page to sign up booth volunteers etc.
2) Posted a call for volunteers to several public mailing lists of PUGs, LUGs,
PMs etc.
3) People tried to sign up on the wiki and found that they couldn't.
4) People e-mailed me/Josh/Selena and we had to edit the wiki for them.
5) Eventually Selena got frustrated and set up a wiki page on an external
site.

This is why I was specifically thinking of a 2nd wiki for "temporary" pages.
While I would not object to automating the authorization process for the main
developer wiki, wiki pages for coordinating activities are kind of a separate
task from (for example) writing developer docs or PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
comparisons (there was, btw, no vandalism on this external wiki).

The "booth duty wiki" needs authorization which is simple and immediate so
that we can pull in volunteers; authorization for the Developer wiki can (and
maybe should) be more cumbersome in order to discourage automated vandalism.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun