Re: CREATE DATABASE foo OWNER bar

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE DATABASE foo OWNER bar
Date: 2007-04-16 15:31:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
>> When I try and RESTORE a pg_dump in the current state, we get errors because
>> the public schema is owned by postgres, and the grant commands are issued
>> as the user (since I'm restoring as the purported owner.
>
> That's a different issue entirely, which is that if you want to restore
> a dump containing objects of multiple ownerships, you need to be
> superuser; else you can't "give away" the ownership.

I guess the issue is that I'd expect public to be owned by the DB Owner after
a CREATE DATABASE foo OWNER bar, which would then quiet up the pg_restore
since that is the error we get on the public schema.

I've remedy'ed the issue with a ALTER SCHEMA, but I think PG ought to do that.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 512-248-2683 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org