Re: PostgreSQL - 'SKYLINE OF' clause added!

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL - 'SKYLINE OF' clause added!
Date: 2007-03-07 18:32:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> My questions about whether to adopt it have more to do with
> cost/benefit. I haven't seen the patch, but it sounds like it will be
> large and messy; and it's for a feature that nobody ever heard of before,
> let alone one that the community has developed a consensus it wants.
> I'm not interested in adopting stuff just "because DB2 hasn't got it".

OK, to make it a clearer case: we have an increasing user base using
PostgreSQL for decision support. One of the reasons for this is that PG is
the *only* OSDB which does a decent job of DSS. Adding unique DSS features
will make PostgreSQL attractive to a lot more DSS application developers, and
help make up for the things which we don't have yet (parallel query, async
I/O, windowing functions).

"Approximate queries" is something with DSS users *want*. Jim Grey addressed
this in his ACM editiorial on the databases of the future. It's something
that *I* want, and if the Greenplum people aren't speaking up here, it's
because they're not paying atttention.

Now, I don't know if this Skyline patch is our answer for approximate queries.
Maybe I should pester Meredith about getting QBE free of its IP issues; it
certainly looked more flexible than Skyline. In either case, the code
probably needs a complete refactor.

But I think that approximate queries ought to be on our TODO list.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun