Re: Multi-language to be or not to be

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-11 16:45:15
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sunday 11 February 2007 08:22, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I'm working on a rewrite and major cleanup of parts of the code that
> runs the main website, and came across a thought.
>
> We currently have support for translation of news, events, surveys,
> quotes and pages. So far, we have zero news, zero events, zero surveys,
> zero quotes and zero pages translated.
>
> The only translated pages are the press information ones, and I don't
> count them because we don't actually use the translation infrastructure
> for them - we link specifically to each and every page.
>
> All the other translations live on completely separate sites - I think
> because they only translate parts of the information and also provide a
> lot of native information in that language.
>
> I know adding translation capabilities was one of the big requirements
> for the last rewrite. But I'd still like to bring up the question -
> should we bother keeping it, or just get rid of it? We thought we had a
> need then, but do we still have it?
>
> Getting rid of it will significantly simplify some code, and it will
> make the static mirrors about half the size they are now (we currently
> mirror every page both in English and in language-neutral (which means
> English again)).

See recent post on advocacy from italian community asking about providing
translation capabilities. We need to talk to them and see if we have
something that they want to use; if we don't then I have no objections to
removing it (though fwiw I don't find it a terrible burden as it currently
stands)

--
Robert Treat