Re: Windows buildfarm failures

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows buildfarm failures
Date: 2007-01-19 15:51:27
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > All our Windows buildfarm machines are failing. AFAICT, the first
> > failure was on Yak,
> > http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=yak&dt=2007-01-16%2021:55:20
> >
> > and the last successful run just before that seems to come from Snake,
> > http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=snake&dt=2007-01-16%2014:30:00
>
> I think this one:
>
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=bear&dt=2007-01-19%2006:06:02
>
> is fallout from the autovacuum changes too - it seems that initdb is
> picking a low value (20) for max_connections on that box and autovacuum
> is acting as an additional client that will cause the maximum of allowed
> connections to exceed during the parallel tests and therefor resulting
> in the failure.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I specifically skipped those errors not
directly related to the problem at hand. This problem is clearly
something else (as well as the Mac OS X failures due to readline
misconfiguration, the ECPG-check failures, etc). I concur with Andrew's
suggestion that it's really pilot error.

Maybe what we really ought to do is pick an internal max_connections
value that exceeds what the max_connections GUC parameter say, adjusting
per autovacuum configuration.