Re: Bad iostat numbers

From: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bad iostat numbers
Date: 2006-12-05 12:15:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 01:21:38AM -0500, Alex Turner wrote:
>My other and most important point is that I can't find any solid
>recommendations for a SCSI card that can perform optimally in Linux or
>*BSD. Off by a factor of 3x is pretty sad IMHO. (and yes, we know the
>Adaptec cards suck worse, that doesn't bring us to a _good_ card).

This gets back to my point about terminology. As a SCSI HBA the Adaptec
is decent: I can sustain about 300MB/s off a single channel of the
39320A using an external RAID controller. As a RAID controller I can't
even imagine using the Adaptec; I'm fairly certain they put that
"functionality" on there just so they could charge more for the card. It
may be that there's not much market for on-board SCSI RAID controllers;
between SATA on the low end and SAS & FC on the high end, there isn't a
whole lotta space left for SCSI. I definitely don't think much
R&D is going into SCSI controllers any more, compared to other solutions
like SATA or SAS RAID (the 39320 hasn't change in at least 3 years,
IIRC). Anyway, since the Adaptec part is a decent SCSI controller and a
lousy RAID controller, have you tried just using software RAID?

Mike Stone