Re: Index Tuning Features

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Index Tuning Features
Date: 2006-10-10 16:06:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> For 8.3, I'd like to add the following two related features to assist
> with Index Tuning and usability:
>
> - Virtual Indexes

This seems useful, but I'm not sure we need a catalog object for that.
It might be sufficient to declare these hypothetical indexes within the
EXPLAIN command. That is after all the only place where they are
applied.

> - RECOMMEND command
>
> Similar in usage to an EXPLAIN, the RECOMMEND command would return a
> list of indexes that need to be added to get the cheapest plan for a
> particular query (no explain plan result though).

This functionality also seems useful, but maybe it should be the job of
a user-space tool?

--
Peter Eisentraut