Removing duplicate keys and updating deleted entry key in other table

From: Srinivas Iyyer <srini_iyyer_bio(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Removing duplicate keys and updating deleted entry key in other table
Date: 2006-09-05 22:42:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

hello group:

I have a table that has 19 duplicte entries:

table - sequence:
seq_id | seq_refseq | seq_gname
--------+--------------+-----------------
33014 | NM_025196 | GRPEL1
33015 | NM_007186 | CEP2
33016 | NM_018148 | LINS1
33017 | NM_199166 | ALAS1

I suspected there are some duplicate entries:

>select seq_refseq,count(*) as score from sequence
group by seq_refseq having count(*) > 1;
seq_refseq | score
--------------+-------
NM_033421 | 2
NM_018290 | 2
NM_005311 | 2
(19 rows)

> select * from sequence where
seq_refseq ='NM_033421';

seq_id | seq_refseq | seq_gname
--------+------------+-----------
43535 | NM_033421 | C20orf161
43554 | NM_033421 | C20orf161
(2 rows)

Now that 19 records are duplicated, I want to delete
the duplicated records from other table comb:

Table comb:

>select * from comb;
cid | gid | seq_id
--------+-------+--------
85830 | 5116 | 33014
85831 | 22191 | 33014
85832 | 22186 | 33014

for some i checked to see if any records holds the
duplicated key. i found none for 3 or 4 cases.

select * from comb where comb.seq_id = 43539;
cid | gid | seq_id
(0 rows)

my question is how do I delete the duplicate row and
make sure I update the comb table after I delete the
duplicate key.

I never did this before and is a complex problem for
me to code.

could any one please help me.

thanks
sri