Two billion records ok?

From: Nick Bower <nick(at)nickbower(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Two billion records ok?
Date: 2006-09-05 01:26:59
Lists: pgsql-general

We're considering using Postgresql for storing gridded metadata - each point
of our grids has a variety of metadata attached to it (including lat/lon,
measurements, etc) and would constitute a record in Postgresql+Postgis.

Size-wise, grids are about 4000x700 and are collected twice daily over say 10
years. As mentioned, each record would have up to 50 metadata attributes
(columns) including geom, floats, varchars etc.

So given 4000x700x2x365x10 > 2 billion, is this going to be a problem if we
will be wanting to query on datetimes, Postgis lat/lon, and integer-based
metadata flags?

If however I'm forced to sub-sample the grid, what rule of thumb should I be
looking to be constrained by?

Thanks for any pointers, Nick

PS - Feel free to throw in any other ideas of grid-suitable databases :)