Re: Array comparison - subset

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Christopher Murtagh <christopher(dot)murtagh(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Array comparison - subset
Date: 2006-09-03 04:48:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:55:32AM -0400, Christopher Murtagh wrote:
> I've got a function that returns and array $foo, and an array $bar.
> Is there an elegant way to test if $bar is a subset of $foo? I've been
> looking through the docs and haven't found anything. Am I missing
> something obvious, or am I out of luck?

In the specific case of integer arrays you could use contrib/intarray.

test=> SELECT ARRAY[1, 2, 3, 4] @ ARRAY[1, 3];
?column?
(1 row)

test=> SELECT ARRAY[1, 2, 3, 4] @ ARRAY[1, 5];
?column?
(1 row)

In 8.2 the above example will work in the stock installation for
arrays of any type (i.e., with operands of type anyarray).

--
Michael Fuhr