Re: 8.2 features status

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)it(dot)is(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-07 15:54:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:57:03AM -0500, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:40:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > And what about compression of on-disk sorting?
> >
> > That's purely a performance issue, which some people seem to want
> > to define as "not a new feature" ... which is not *my* view of
> > what's important ...
> >
> > regards, tom lane
> >
> From my point of view, some of these new performance features are
> the most important changes in the 8.2 release. We are using other
> databases currently because of performance problems that are going
> to be addressed in this release. If we can use PostgreSQL instead,
> their are new possibilities for reliability and robustness that
> our current database choice will not allow.

The problem with 'performance improvements' from a PR standpoint is that
they're not very sexy unless you've got some numbers to go with them.

"8.2 has many performance improvements" - yawn.

"On average, users have seen 40% performance improvements in 8.2, and in
some cases performance increased over 1000%" - wow!

Have you by chance done any performance testing with HEAD that can be
compared to 8.1?