Re: CSStorm occurred again by postgreSQL8.2. (Re: poor

From: Masanori ITOH <ito(dot)masanori(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc
Cc: okano(dot)katsuhiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, ito(dot)masanori(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: CSStorm occurred again by postgreSQL8.2. (Re: poor
Date: 2006-07-19 11:11:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi folks,

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Subject: Re: CSStorm occurred again by postgreSQL8.2. (Re: [HACKERS] poor
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:53:53 +0200

> Katsuhiko Okano wrote:
> >> Can you provide a reproducible test case for this?
> >
> > Seven machines are required in order to perform measurement.
> > (DB*1,AP*2,CLient*4)
> > Enough work load was not able to be given in two machines.
> > (DB*1,{AP+CL}*1)
> >

> > It was not able to reappear to a multiplex run of pgbench
> > or a simple SELECT query.
> > TPC-W of a work load tool used this time is a full scratch.
> > Regrettably it cannot open to the public.
> > If there is a work load tool of a free license, I would like to try.
>

> FYI: there is a free tpc-w implementation done by Jan available at:
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/tpc-w-php/

FYI(2):

There is one more (pseudo) TPC-W implementation by OSDL.

http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/osdl_database_test_suite/osdl_dbt-1/

One more comment is that Katsuhiko't team is using their own version of
TPC-W like benchmark suite, and he cannot make it public.

Also, his point is that he tried to reproduce the CSS phenomena using
pgbench and a proguram issuing heavily multiple SELECT queries
on a single table but they didn't work well reproducing CSS.

Regards,
Masanori

> Stefan

---
Masanori ITOH NTT OSS Center, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation
e-mail: ito(dot)masanori(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
phone : +81-3-5860-5015