Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date: 2006-07-13 21:27:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:15:04 -0500 (EST)
Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> wrote:
> The fact that the JDBC driver requires no compilation for anyone on any
> platform is one reason for that. Anyone can visit the website and be
> working within minutes with no understanding of the build environment or
> installation. You drop the provided JAR file in your classpath and you
> are done. The same cannot be said for pl/java. Yes, it would be good if
> there were packages for it, but it's very unlikely that pl/java will be
> able to maintain up to date binary packages for every platform.

Wouldn't that be the job of the platform providers? Certainly I would
expect NetBSD to make it available as a package, both source and
binary, on every platform they support as they do for the thousands of
other packages they deal with.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> | Democracy is three wolves