Re: Fwd: Start up question about triggers

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Start up question about triggers
Date: 2006-06-26 10:43:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:29:33PM -0500, Aaron Bono wrote:

> What I really cannot find is a way to _dynamically_ in the trigger ask what
> COLUMNS are in OLD and NEW. If we had:

All of the columns, of course. When the tuple is UPDATEd, even if
you did not mention some columns in your UPDATE, there is an OLD
value and a NEW value. They're the same.

> I wish I had more experience with stored procedures - I know what I would
> try to do, just not if it is possible or how to implement it.

I think what Tom (but I don't want to put words in his mouth) and,
certainly, I have been saying is that your plan to get the list of
transform commands is fundamentally misguided. If you want to track
changes, then that's what you should do: track what changed.

Note that there is a project that already, in fact, does this for you
as part of how it works: Slony-I.

When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do sir?
--attr. John Maynard Keynes