Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC
Date: 2006-06-24 23:13:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Woodward wrote:

> The update behavior of PostgreSQL is probably the *last* serious issue.
> Debate all you want, vacuum mitigates the problem to varying levels,
> fixing the problem will be a huge win. If the update behavior gets fixed,
> I can't think of a single issue with postgresql that would be a show
> stopper.

Nah, it's just *your* pet peeve. Everyone has theirs. Some people may
share yours, of course. I agree it's a problem, but from there to
saying "it's _the last_ issue" there's a lot of distance.

Your idea of reusing a tuple's self pointer (t_ctid) does not work BTW,
because the self pointer must point to self. The case where the pointer
does not point to exactly the same tuple, it must point to a newer
version. If you change that invariant, a lot of things break; see for
example heap_get_lastest_tid.