Re: Alternative variable length structure

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alternative variable length structure
Date: 2006-06-15 02:57:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I assume the conclusion from this email thread is that though the idea
> is interesting, the complexity added would not be worth the saving of a
> few bytes.

I have same understanding about it. Besides the complexity,
there is trade-off between cpu and i/o resources.

Also, there is another approach in
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-12/msg00258.php ,
where 2byte header version of varlena is suggested. It is more simple, but
it may double intrinsic text types (shorttext, shortchar and shortvarchar).

I assume it is worth the saving of a few bytes in particular for indexes
on VLDBs, but my patch is still incomplete and needs more works.

---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center