Re: Howto get tranaction rate in postgres

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Meyer Marco <Marco(dot)Meyer(at)IntradoEMEA(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Howto get tranaction rate in postgres
Date: 2006-05-23 14:30:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 03:49:20PM +0200, Meyer Marco wrote:
> I mean the transactions over time interval. Say the current db
> transactions per minute.

See the "Monitoring Database Activity" chapter in the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/monitoring.html

One way would be to query pg_stat_database periodically and track
how fast xact_commit and xact_rollback are changing. With monitoring
software like MRTG you could write a script to query pg_stat_database
and let the monitor track the rate of change and draw activity graphs.

Pgfouine generates usage reports but I haven't used it so I don't
know anything about it other than what its web site says. See
"Sample reports" at the following link:

http://pgfouine.projects.postgresql.org/

--
Michael Fuhr