Re: ISSTRICT behavior

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Don Y <pgsql(at)DakotaCom(dot)Net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISSTRICT behavior
Date: 2006-05-04 07:29:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 12:23:07AM -0700, Don Y wrote:
> I don't want to hide the function; just ensure that no one
> *redefines* the SQL interface to it in a manner that is
> inconsistent with its implementation. If I can make the
> implementation robust enough that it could protect itself
> against this potential, that would be acceptable (hence
> my original question). Barring that, I need to do whatever
> it takes to safeguard the server so that it can't be brought
> to its knees by a simple bug like failing to specify STRICT, etc.

Well, if you really want to, you can do this at the beginning of each
function. It makes it completely fool-proof (until someone finds a
better fool ofcourse).

--- cut ---
if( PG_NARGS != exptectedargs )
die ("bad args" );
for( i=0; i<PG_NARGS; i++ )
{
if( PG_ARGISNULL(i) )
PG_RETURN_NULL();
if( get_fn_expr_argtype( fcinfo->flinfo, i ) != expectedtypes[i] )
die("bad args" );
}

if( get_fn_expr_rettype(fcinfo->flinfo) )
die "bad return type";