Domains and supporting functions

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein(at)varlena(dot)com
Subject: Domains and supporting functions
Date: 2006-02-19 05:27:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've got a domain based on a text type.
I've overridden the equal operator with
lower(text) = lower(text).

I created a table containing my new domain type
and can see that the equals operator is not
being used to determine uniqueness.

What do I need to do to force the UNIQUE constraint
to use the equals function? Is sort going to ignore
the > and < I've defined for this type, too?

Must I create an opclass and create the UNIQUE index
separately from the table creation?
This seems extreme when what I really want to do is to
override the basic comparing functions.

If this is the way domains really are, I would strongly suggest
expanding create domain to merge with create type (under) and
allow us to list the basic functions.

--elein
elein(at)varlena(dot)com

Example;

--
-- check constraint isemail for email base type
--

--
-- create type email under text

--
-- Equals: lower(text) = lower(text)
--

create operator = (
PROCEDURE = email_eq,

\echo expect PK ERROR
insert into aliases values ('pk(at)email(dot)com', 'PK');
insert into aliases values ('PK(at)email(dot)com', 'PK');

PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training
elein(at)varlena(dot)com Varlena, LLC www.varlena.com

PostgreSQL General Bits http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/