Re: psql & readline & win32

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql & readline & win32
Date: 2006-02-13 17:12:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Would the easiest solution be to make a patch to readline for
> > Win32, and only allow Win32 to link to readline if that patch
> > is in readline, and spit out a compile error if readline
> > doesn't have that patch.
>
> What would we patch it with? I don't think anybody has found a problem
> there, this is a separate file that you ship along with it.

Well, the problem is that it handles backslash incorrectly. We could
patch that in the readline source rather than playing with a
configuaration file.

> > As far as the license, psql spits out a copyright notice as
> > it starts.
> > It would be a shame to have to mention GPL in there.
>
> Even that may not be enough. This is the GPL we're talking about.

At that point, psql becomes GPL, no question.

> > Can we get any companies to fund a port of libedit to Win32?
>
> That would be nice. Takers?
>

> > What does readline have that Win32 native editing does not?
>
> tab completion, for one. Some editing keys, IIRC. I thought history, but
> it does seem we have history workign on native :)

I think what we don't have is saving history between psql uses.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us