Re: Trigger efficiency

From: Craig Servin <cservin(at)cromagnon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Josep Sanmartí <josep(dot)sanmarti(at)openwired(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Trigger efficiency
Date: 2006-02-06 15:14:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

I do not know of a way to make your trigger run less often, but you could only
have it do the insert if something changes. This is what we do:

CREATE or replace FUNCTION UPDATE_SERVER_HST() RETURNS TRIGGER AS '
begin
if (OLD.ADD_DATE is distinct from NEW.ADD_DATE
or OLD.HOSTNAME is distinct from NEW.HOSTNAME
) then

insert into SERVER_HST( OPERATION, HST_USR_ID, HST_ADD_DATE, SERVER_ID,
UPDATE_COUNT, ADD_DATE, HOSTNAME) values( substr( TG_OP, 1, 1 ),
GET_CONNECTION_USR(), now()
, OLD.SERVER_ID, OLD.UPDATE_COUNT, OLD.ADD_DATE, OLD.HOSTNAME);
end if;

RETURN NULL; -- result is ignored since this is an AFTER trigger

end;
'
language plpgsql
security definer;

That way the insert only happens if there is a change. Since this is a pain
we have a program that writes our history and update_count triggers for us
based on what we run through our modeling tool.

Craig