Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum
Date: 2006-01-17 17:16:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:59:25AM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> I have to admit, looking at the documentation, that we really don't
> explain this all that well in the administration section, and I can see
> how easily led astray beginners are.

I understand what you mean, but I suppose my reaction would be that
what we really need is a place to keep these things, with a note in
the docs that the "best practice" settings for these are documented
at <some url>, and evolve over time as people gain expertise with the
new features.

I suspect, for instance, that nobody knows exactly the right settings
for any generic workload yet under 8.1 (although probably people know
them well enough for particular workloads).

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie