Re: Implementing rounding rule in plpgsql

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: jeff sacksteder <jsacksteder(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implementing rounding rule in plpgsql
Date: 2005-11-20 09:24:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 02:01:02AM -0500, jeff sacksteder wrote:
> Due to application requirements, I need to implement a rounding function
> that is independant of the baked-in rounding functionality. I'd prefer to do
> it in plpgsql for maximum portability.
> To do this, I'll need to sequentially walk through the digits of an
> arbritarily long floating-point number. I can't think of a good way to do
> this.

This wouldn't be a homework assignment, would it? Anyway, maybe
this will give you some ideas:

CREATE FUNCTION myround(num double precision) RETURNS double precision AS $$
DECLARE
textval text := num;
i integer;
BEGIN
FOR i IN 1 .. length(textval) LOOP
RAISE INFO '[%] = %', i, substr(textval, i, 1);
END LOOP;

RETURN num;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql IMMUTABLE STRICT;