Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Frank Wiles <frank(at)wiles(dot)org>
Cc: rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net, yves(dot)vindevogel(at)implements(dot)be, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks
Date: 2005-11-10 00:43:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Frank Wiles wrote:

> Obviously there are systems/datasets/quantities where this won't
> always work out best, but for the majority of systems out there
> complicating your schema, maxing your hardware, and THEN tuning
> is IMHO the wrong approach.

I wasn't suggesting to complicate the schema -- I was actually thinking
in systems where some queries are not using indexes, some queries are
plain wrong, etc. Buying a very expensive RAID and then noticing that
you just needed to create an index, is going to make somebody feel at
least somewhat stupid.

--
Alvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile ICBM: S 39º 49' 17.7", W 73º 14' 26.8"
Y una voz del caos me habló y me dijo