Re: Sort performance on large tables

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kurt Harriman <kharriman(at)greenplum(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sort performance on large tables
Date: 2005-11-08 20:48:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Luke Lonergan wrote:

> Stephan,

> > I wish you'd qualify your statements, because I can demonstrably show that
> > I can make sorts go faster on my machine at least by increasing work_mem
> > under some conditions.
> >
> Cool can you provide your test case please?

I probably should have added the wink smiley to make it obvious I was
talking about the simplest case, things that don't fit in work_mem at the
current level but for which it's easy to raise work_mem to cover. It's not
a big a gain as one might hope, but it does certainly drop again.

> Recognize also that were looking for a factor of 10 or more improvement
> here this is not a small increase thats needed.

I agree that we definately need help on that regard. I do see the effect
where raising work_mem lowers the performance up until that point. I just
think that it requires more care in the discussion than disregarding the
suggestions entirely especially since people are going to see this in the
archives.