Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London
Date: 2005-10-10 18:21:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Mitch,

> That is because the recent generations of web developers grew up (and
> continue to grow up) with MySQL as the 'default' database, and thus
> think it is perfectly normal to scatter their DDL/DML throughout the
> source tree of their apps. This is what I am cleaning up in Joomla!
> with the 1.2 release, which has been necessitated by the inclusion of
> ADOdb (and therefore PostgreSQL and others). I cannot wait to get that
> work started! :-D

Great. You should also make plans to drop in PDO once 80% of your users
are up to PHP5. ADODB is only an intermediate "driver".

> I'm trying to convince the other Joomla! core developers to use
> PostgreSQL as the standard reference/development platform, in order to
> get closer to the SQL standards. If I end up writing any tutorial-type
> stuff I will pass it along over here. Wish me luck ;-)

OK, thanks. Also, please tell them that the folks on the #postgresql
channel at irc.freenode.net are *very* helpful and available almost 24/7.
Heck, we spend some time answering basic SQL questions for MySQL users,
since they can't get help on the #mysql channel.

> One thing for sure though - as both PHP matures as a technology, and
> web developers also gain sophistication, PostgreSQL is uniquely
> positioned as the one F/OSS database that will meet their needs. I see
> a great opportunity here, and Oracle's purchase of Innobase - and the
> resulting drama across the internet - will also push more web
> developers towards PostgreSQL, even if only for evaluation.

I certainly hope so.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus