Re: passing parameters to CREATE INDEX

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: passing parameters to CREATE INDEX
Date: 2005-09-20 20:10:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:26:26PM +0400, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> it's desirable to be able to pass parameters to CREATE INDEX for
> GiST indices. Does SQL standard has something about that so we could
> implement it for 8.2 ?

As has been pointed out, INDEXes arn't in the SQL spec at all, so you
can do just about anything.

> Example from real life project - performance of tsearch2 could be
> greatly improved if decrease signature size in gistidx.h, which is
> currently hardcoded and one should compile and install tsearch2 into
> differnet location and use it for specific database. It's impossible
> to have different signature length for different fts indices because
> we have no possibility to pass parameters to CREATE INDEX command.

What syntax were you envisioning? Does this value just need to be
passed to GiST at the creation of the the index, or does it actually
need to remembered by the backend and passed each call? At the moment
there is some discussion on changes to the index interface so now is
the time to ask for what you want...