Re: New dot releases

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New dot releases
Date: 2005-09-20 19:15:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 11:09:50PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> In an earlier message you said that "the owner of the machine has
> been completely unhelpful about providing any information to track
> it down." Is he not responding at all, or is he responding but
> with not enough information?

Yes. I had been working on this trying (unsucessfully) to get a working
backtrace when I ended up with a bunch of other things on my plate. We
now have a good backtrace.

> Most of gerbil's failures are:
>
> creating information schema ... Bus Error - core dumped
>
> Is the message implying that the postgres process that initdb starts
> is dumping core? Any ideas on how the patch might cause that?
>
> The most recent failures are
>
> shmat(id=8326) failed: Not enough space

The shmat errors were because there were a bunch of shared memory
segments hanging around, because they didn't get cleaned up from
initdb coreing. The only real issue is the core dump, which an email has
been sent to the list about.

Sorry for the delay in tracking this down.