Re: Remove xmin and cmin from frozen tuples

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at
Subject: Re: Remove xmin and cmin from frozen tuples
Date: 2005-09-07 17:30:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 01:20:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Anyway the fundamental insight has been completely lost here. The
> original point was that cmin and cmax are only interesting within the
> originating transaction, and not to anyone else, and thus perhaps don't
> need to be kept in permanent storage; while xmin/xmax are different
> animals because they *are* of interest to other transactions.

I'm curious to know how can you store the cmin/cmax pair completely out
of the tuple. It's easy to see how to store a single identifier in each
tuple that would be an index to a structure in local memory. However,
to eliminate both you'd have to keep a list of all tuples you have
created or obsoleted, with the cmin and cmax of each. This seems like
an awful amount of memory.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"I can't go to a restaurant and order food because I keep looking at the