Re: pgsql: Conditionally output the server version number in psql if it

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Conditionally output the server version number in psql if it
Date: 2005-09-05 15:38:14
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 10:59:08AM -0300, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Conditionally output the server version number in psql if it doesn't
> exactly match the client version number, and warn about major version
> mismatches.

Any reason not to print a "server version" string that looks like
the actual version? Here's what I get connecting to various servers,
along with the integer that PQserverVersion() returns:

8.0.3 server version 8.03 (80003)
7.4.8 server version 7.48 (70408)
7.3.10 server version 7.3 (70310)
7.2.8 server version 7.28 (70208)

Note in particular the missing minor version when connecting to
7.3.10. Why the inconsistency, and why no dot between major and
minor? Or did I miss that discussion?

--
Michael Fuhr