Re: User Quota Implementation

From: Yann Michel <yann-postgresql(at)spline(dot)de>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User Quota Implementation
Date: 2005-06-11 08:49:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Josh,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 02:25:11PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > O.K. This makes sens to me. Otherwise I'd like to see quotas per
> > tablespace. As far as I got it, a tablespace may grow in size untile the
> > volume is full. Here a grace quota might be usefull as well. Let's say a
> > 5% threshold like the ext filesystem as an default for generating a
> > warning to th elogs files letting the admin extend the volum(s) by time.
>
> Hmmm ... Tablespace quotas would be *even more* useful than database
> quotas. If it's just as easy for you?

Well, lets see...

What do we need:

- Extension of the "CREATE TABLESPACE" command:
CREATE TABLESPACE tablespacename
[ OWNER username ]
[ SIZE <integer><K | M | G | T> ]
LOCATION 'directory'

- Extension of the "ALTER TABLESPACE" command:
ALTER TABLESPACE name
{RENAME TO newname |
SIZE <integer><K | M | G | T> }

- Storage of this information in the system "tablespace" relation

- Determine the actual size of a tables space
--> Already exists in contrib/dbsize/dbsize.c

- Define the point in time where this calculation should happen.
That's the point where I think some lazyness may appear, i.e. it is
enough to evaluate the size from time to time but not after each
statement. Of cause this will enable that a tablespace may become to
large but once it is to large, further extensions of it will become
prohibited.

- Define how to disable further extension of tablespace objects or
creation of new ones.

- Optional: Define postgresql.conf parameter:
"tablesspace_full_warning = 90"
Whenever the threshold of 90 percent is reached a warning will
be generated (and written to the log-files)

So far from me about my thoughts...

Regards,
Yann