Re: Shared memory and FreeBSD's jail()

From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared memory and FreeBSD's jail()
Date: 2005-06-01 08:37:48
Lists: pgsql-general

# tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us / 2005-05-19 12:14:58 -0400:
> lister <lister(at)primetime(dot)com> writes:
> > This was the topic of 20 minutes of conversation in 2 tutorials
> > at BSDCan.
>
> Well, if the BSD people are so concerned about it, why don't they fix
> their bleedin' OS? It's inexcusable to have a "jail" feature that
> doesn't cover such a major part of Unix as the SysV IPC facilities.
>
> Of course, it's a lot easier to just blame the messenger.

I read current@, hackers@, stable@, and ports@, and none of
the threads revolving around jails, SysV shared memory and
PostgreSQL I read blamed PostgreSQL of anything.

Closest it got was when Dag-Erling Smorgrav (the spelling is not
correct, sorry DES) mentioned that making PostgreSQL use POSIX-style
shm would eliminate the problem (I have no idea if that's true).

You don't know, man. You don't KNOW.
Cause you weren't THERE. http://bash.org/?255991