Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Held <dave(dot)held(at)arraysg(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres
Date: 2005-05-11 21:59:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 02:41:43PM -0700, elein wrote:
> Adding to the ambiguity is the dot notation used for
> composite columns. Don't forget the other end ignoring
> those required parens.
>
> is foo.bar.zap
> a database.schema.table
> a schema.table.column
> a table.column.column

Wouldn't that be handled by the FROM clause having to identify only
tables and views? Is there anyplace where dot notation actually extends
from database name down to columns? If that's the case, it seems
reasonable to me to require the use of table aliases in cases where
there's ambiguity.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org