Re: argtype_inherit() is dead code

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: argtype_inherit() is dead code
Date: 2005-04-17 20:53:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 06:56:01AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >Is it really an important area to improve, or are there other
> >priorities? I know some people wished we had better support for
> >inheritance, but how strong is that wish?

FWIW, I think people might be more likely to use the OO features that
PostgreSQL already has if there was better OO support in one or more of
the languages. Oracle has some support along these lines and it was nice
being able to make use of it the last time I used Oracle. I don't
remember the exact details, and I don't think they're necessarily the
way you'd want to do it in PostgreSQL anyway, but it was nice being able
to do things like expose a type/class that knew how to pull info from
the database as well as store it there.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org