Re: date - range

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "H(dot)J(dot) Sanders" <hjs(at)rmax(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: date - range
Date: 2005-04-01 23:24:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:05:44PM +0200, H.J. Sanders wrote:

> people can subscribe to a service for 1 or more days (upto a max. of 365).
>
> So in the database is stored: first_date and last_date
>
> To select which people are subscribed for a certain date (e.g. today) we use
> a select like
>
> select ....... where first_date <= today and last_date >= today
>
> Whatever index we create system always does a sequential scan (which I can
> understand).

Could you show the table and index definitions and the EXPLAIN
ANALYZE output of two queries, one with enable_seqscan set to "on"
and one with it set to "off"? The planner might think that a
sequential scan would be faster than an index scan, and EXPLAIN
ANALYZE should tell us if that guess is correct.

What version of PostgreSQL are you using?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/