Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there?

From: "Andrew L(dot) Gould" <algould(at)datawok(dot)com>
To: chris(dot)green(at)isbd(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there?
Date: 2005-01-22 00:19:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday 21 January 2005 12:55 pm, Chris Green wrote:
> I'm working on an application for my own use and have been using
> knoda as a front end to postgresql but I need a bit more power and
> flexibility.
>
> I'm quite happy to get into relatively serious programming as I am a
> C++/Java programmer, this accounting package is rather out of my
> normal line of work though.
>
> What methods are available to produce data entry forms for postgresql
> databases? If, for example, one wanted to migrate a system that used
> Oracle Forms to Postgresql what would one use? This seems to me to
> be an area which is not aired much here and that surprises me because
> a database is of no use unless one can get data into it.
>
> I'd prefer something that isn't web based but if that's the only way
> to go then I do have a web server (apache) on the system where the
> Postgresql database is. It doesn't have to be multiuser really
> either as I'm probably going to be the only user.
>
> All I want is a way to produce reasonably functional forms for
> entering data into a Postgresql database which will allow me to do
> the following:-
>
> Show a database table in a 'table view' type format which will
> allow deletion, modification and insertion of rows.
>
> Has 'hooks' so that one can have actions which occur on entry to
> and exit from certain fields.
>
> Can calculate and preload some fields.
>
> I don't need sophisticated layout facilities, nor do I need
> sophisticated reporting as I think knoda can do all I need on that
> front.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.

Many languages have the capacity to access PostgreSQL databases
including Python (with PyGreSQL), Perl (with DBI), PHP (compile in
support), Delphi and Java (with JDBC) to name a few. The selection of
GUI tools for forms depends upon the language.

You can also use other databases applications that make use of ODBC
links such as MS Access and Paradox. (Attempts with Lotus Approach
failed horribly.) At work, I've used MS Access to create several
front-end applications to PostgreSQL database servers.

Gnumeric, a spreadsheet application, is supposed to be able to access
several databases natively (not odbc) via gnomedb. I've gotten gnomedb
to connect to the database; but I can't find any documentation as to
how to get the data into the spreadsheet.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould